Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Every day may not be good, but there is something good in every day!

During the weekend I had every intention of sitting down and making our lesson plans for the week. Intention  was not enough as I got busy and preoccupied with other things and lesson plans some how did not make the cut of what got accomplished. Homeschooling and lesson plans are a whole new concept that I need to make a priority. School is to be taken seriously. If I am not serious about making lesson plans, there is no way I can expect my children to take their academics seriously. My children look to me for guidance and instruction. I need to set a better example and be proactive.

Monday was, ugh, the day from, ugh! Ugh was the word of the day. Mom, What am I suppose to do for Math today? Ugh was the response. Mom, What do I do for LA? Ugh, again is the response. Not the best way to start a day, especially a Monday. I worked frantically to pull assignments together to keep them occupied and productive so that I could get my lesson plans completed for the week. It seemed to take all day. I learned a lot of what did and did not work last week and made changes to make our days flow better.  My frustration of not having lesson plans ready got the best of me and everything the kids did seemed to add one more straw to this camel's back. Before study time was over I was in tears. Sad, overwhelmed and feeling like a failure I was ready for the day to end. During dinner my husband and I were talking about the day and how the homeschooling was going. I explained my day and he could see the toll the day had taken on me. It was at this time that I  remembered something about the day that had almost gotten lost in my frustration. My son, Mr. C, completed all of his reading worksheets on his own and got everything correct except for two questions. I quickly called him into the room and praised him for trying so hard and staying focused. It brightened his face up to know that I was proud of him and that I noticed he had done it all on his own.

It is hard for me to think something so important was almost forgotten because I allowed myself to become so consumed by my frustrations. As I was talking with Mr. C my frustrations disappeared. That one single moment among all the frustrations made the day completely worth it. I know this is only our second week into school but I am seeing a difference and I feel progress is being made. All of which is a confirmation that we made the right choice for our family.

Many of us get caught up in the moment and allow ourselves to be consumed with the frustrations and negativity of what happens in life. This reminds me of a quote:  "Every day may not be good, but there is something good in everyday."- Author Unknown.

Stop and find the good in your day.

1 comment:

  1. I totally know what you mean... I was there my second day of homeschooling... TOTALLY freaked out... Not sure what to do... but then I SAW progress happening right in front of my face and I had an awakening and realized I CAN do this... and I don't exactly use a planned out schedule BUT I do have a rough outline for my plan and I do it as it works for my boys :)

    ReplyDelete