Monday, April 9, 2012

Crocheting

I remember my step grandmother would Crochet blankets, dolls and clothes for all of her kids, grand kids and great grand kids when I was growing up. As a child, I never put much thought into the amount of time it took to make these items. Now, as an adult, I have a new appreciation for those items, non of which I have anymore. I wish I could have seized the opportunity to learn from her.

I have decided to give Crocheting a try and am teaching myself via videos I am watching on YouTube. Crocheting is not easy, yet, not all that difficult. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to learn and it can be very frustrating. With anything, practice makes perfect. I do have a lot of learning to do and I am up for the challenge.

My reasoning to begin Crocheting is simple, I have a friend and a family member that are both expecting and I wanted to provide them with something for their little bundle of joy that can lasts a lifetime, is made with love and hopefully will be passed down generation to generation.

Being a first timer I choose to Crochet a scarf for my oldest daughter. I was enjoying myself and thought I was doing a great job, until that dreadful moment when I looked at the 1 1/2 foot long scarf and realized, somehow, somewhere, I had added in an extra Crochet. Then came the time when I had to start pulling apart most of my work. It was not something that I wanted to have to do. One thing about Crocheting, pulling apart your work is something that everyone will do at some point in a project. I have been able to keep count as to not add extra Crochets in and am now well on my way to almost completing the scarf.

It has been a learning process, which I have enjoyed. The satisfaction of taking a skein of yarn and watching it become something is amazing. The best part of it all, is seeing the look on my daughter's face as she sees her scarf and her excitement to be able to wear it soon, weather permitting and all. I am hoping that she will love it and will want to keep it forever as it is my first piece I will have made.



No comments:

Post a Comment